Saturday, October 20, 2012

Yep, I'm a firefighter now.....now what?

In August, I made the executive decision to join the Stockton Volunteer Fire Department. Well, the idea was thrust upon me due to my husband the fire chief. There was a woman in Stockton who wanted to join, but under one condition....she wanted another woman to join also. So, the fire chief came to me with this idea and I couldn't say no. So, I joined. I had A LOT of questions in my mind. 1-Could I put hot pink reflective tape on my bunker gear? Fire chief says "That's not doable and stop asking." 2-Could I bedazzle my bunker gear? Fire chief says "That's not doable and stop asking." 3-Will I be a "Yoko Ono" to break up the fire department? Cuz, that's what happen to The Beatles....well, besides they were heading into different creative ideas. 4-How would my fire locker look with Hello Kitty duct tape? 5-Would I keep my cool during an incident that has blood and broken bones? Or would I freak out and cry like a little girl? Probably, maybe the first one. 6- Would my family support me in this BIG jump? My brother Tom was jumping up and down and saying "That is so COOL, my big sister is a firefighter....THAT IS SO COOL"!!!! My parents both thought it was neat having their oldest child as a firefighter. 7-Will the other firefighters accept me as another member of the team or as the fire chief's wife so they have to clean up their language? I want to be one of the team and bottom of the totem pole. I would be happy as a go-for, maybe I should wear a gopher suit and get into character. I wonder if they make gopher bunker gear? 8-Can I get some pink fire boots? Fire chief says "That's not doable and stop asking." 9-Will I pass the firefighter 1 and 2 exam? Well, I passed the tests to get my pharmacy technician certifications. I've heard you would have to be some idiot to not pass it. Since then I have been on four calls so far. One diabetic problem, one fire (we couldn't till it was already out), one child medical, and one accident by Dugway (as we were arriving to the accident we got canceled, but it was a nice Sunday drive in the firetruck with my father-in-law and two other firefighters). The fire fighters seem to accept me as another member of the team. I'm ready for any hazing prank they do to me or whatever these guys do to new blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment